Monday, May 11, 2009

A Story in Fellowship Fantastic Wins the Nebula Award!

8E34D8D4-D158-457C-BA0B-820B80EE77C8.jpg



Fellowship Fantastic


Trophy Wives by Nina Kiriki Hoffman won the Nebula Award!

This is a very cool short story and it won the Nebula Award for best short story of 2008. I’m so thrilled that my story, the lead story in the DAW Book anthology, Fellowship Fantastic, is in there with Nina’s. I’ve met her a few times and she’s a very nice person with some serious writing skills. I recall a breakfast I had with her a few years ago at a World Fantasy Convention, and I also recall a story she read at a reading at the con. I still remember it today. I thought she as very witty, though humble, and intelligent. Those qualities show in her writing and I think reading her work is a good idea.

I just reread Trophy Wives yesterday and really enjoyed it. The writing is smooth, so interesting and original. The story is set in the distant future and is about a woman (actually a few women) living out their lives and dealing with the intricacies of their culture and their lot in life. The story was just so damn original and I don’t want to spoil it here. Please check it out.

There are lot of great stories in the book. I also enjoyed Cirque de Lumiere by Brad Beaulieu, which I also just reread. It’s a fascinating science fiction story about a group of traveling circus performers.

My story in the anthology is called Almost Brothers, and is about Finn, a 12 year old boy who is an orphan and a refugee. Finn and his best friend, Owen are taking care of a group of ten refugee orphans. It’s dark fantasy and I very much hope for it to be the first chapter of a novel that I write someday.

Anyway, please pick up a copy of Fellowship Fantastic. If you know me and live around here, I sell them for $5, or on my website for a little more because of shipping. I’ll have them for sale at my book release party on May 22. I hope to see you there.

Best wishes,

Paul Genesse
Author of The Dragon Hunters
Book Two of the Iron Dragon Series
Five Star Books, May 2009

No comments: